Cure Organic Farm is a commercial family farm located six miles east of Boulder, Colorado. We grow over 100 different varieties of certified organic vegetables, herbs and flowers on 15 acres. All of the crops we grow are distributed within 50 miles of the farm through a CSA program, to local restaurants, farmers markets and our farm store on site. The farm is also home to several honey bee hives, a flock of hens and ducks, and heritage Berkshire and Mangalitsa pigs which are rotationally grazed.
Cure Organic Farm is currently hiring a Livestock Assistant for the 2018 season. The Livestock Assistant is responsible for daily animal care of chickens, ducks and pigs. Previous farm or ranch experience is required. The schedule for this position varies with the season but will be between 25-40 hours a week. This is an hourly paid position based on experience, with a weekly produce share and a discount on our meat. This is a year round position. Limited affordable housing on site is available, please ask if interested.
General responsibilities include:
- Feeding, watering, collecting eggs, restocking nesting boxes for chickens
- Setting up portable fencing and moving chickens through pasture as needed.
- Mending fences and pasture management. Moving animals with livestock trailers.
- Feeding, watering, collecting eggs and cleaning bedding for ducks.
- Feeding, watering and maintaining electric fences for pigs on pasture.
- Setting up portable fencing and rotating pigs through pasture.
- Monitoring and filling self-feeders for all animals. Ordering feed and suppies as needed.
- Assist in scheduling slaughter dates and transportation of animals.
- Support the Farm Manager in implementing daily tasks, in managing and troubleshooting problems and identifying solutions.
- Ensure timely and appropriate veterinary care of sick or injured animals as well as regular preventative care.
- Oversee livestock recordkeeping; ensure it happens in a timely fashion and that there is appropriate documentation.
We are looking for positive, reliable, responsible, and hardworking individuals who have a strong desire to work with livestock on a small commercial farm. Attention to detail is critical and a passion working with livestock is essential. You must be comfortable working independently and have previous experience working with a variety of farm animals. Applicants must be in good physical condition and able to lift 50 pounds. Ability to drive manual transmission trucks with a livestock trailer safely is required. A valid driver's license, clean driving record and reliable transportation to and from the farm are required. The farm is a no smoking and drug free environment.
To apply, please submit a resume with references and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Why you are interested in working at Cure Organic Farm?
- When are you available to start?
- What previous experiences qualify you for the Livestock Assistant position? Please include details about your past job experiences.
- What will you personally will bring to this position?
- Anything that will help us get to know you.
Please submit application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Livestock Assistant
Our goal is to reply to your application within seven days of receiving it. If your qualifications meet our standards we will contact you for an initial interview here at the farm. If the initial interview goes well, we will invite you for a paid working interview, after which the employee and the farm manager will decide if the position is a good match.